Saw Dudes: The Phantom Milling Bit


Today, I sa(h)(w)(wed) a lot of cool things. When I walked into La Tinkería this morning, the first thing I said was “sah” to my dudes: Elliott, Nathan, and Mr. Grisbee. The second thing I saw was an almost finished poker box. With the glass installed, the top separated from the bottom, and the mitered spline joints with rectangular pieces of Padauk, Yellowheart, and Purpleheart glued firmly into them, we were ready to move to the next step. Using a fine kerf razor saw, each one of the group members took turns sawing the excess wood off of the joints so that the wood sitting in them would sit flush against the outer walls of the box. As a stylistic choice, the group decided to have the Yellowheart sit in the middle spline to make distinguishing between the Purpleheart and the Padauk marginally easier. Subsequently, we split off into finishing our own prototype boxes while Mr. Grisbee sanded, used a Dremel tool to rout spaces for the hinges, and drill pressed places for magnets to hold the lid of the box closed after its attachment. 

To finish my box, I, using quarter-inch plywood, resized the base using our handy crosscut jig. After gluing everything together, I used the round over bit to round out each of the edges, and then proceeded to sand my box using sandpaper with grits ranging from 100 to 2500. Finally, I applied a gray stain for aesthetic appeal.

The day ended with a thorough application of finishing oil to an almost-finished, and excellent-looking poker box. I, again, look forward to seeing the finished product. 

Comments