Week 1 Blog - 2D 3D Design

Francesco Argentina
Jeremy Grisbee
2D-3D Design J-Term
1/15/18
Blog 1
Week one of this J-Term was all about gathering materials and getting the proper measurements prior to doing any real cuts. For my two projects, I decided to try and make a clock for my bedroom, as well as a chair that could be taken apart and put back together. For these two items, I would be utilizing the laser cutter, and the CNC Router respectively. As I said, the main goal for this week was just to establish a plan, and prepare all of the cuts that needed to be made for the following class time. And although I did make a few cuts this week, such as the pieces for the chair, as well as a few rectangular test cuts, the majority of my time was spent getting familiar with Adobe Illustrator. For my two projects to be successful, everything had to be as precise as possible with little room for error. This is why I made the test cuts, I had to make sure each rectangle for my connector pieces fit exactly ¾ inch plywood with no wiggle room. I had actually ran into a problem early on as I had originally wanted the connector pieces for my chair to be 3D printed, however I was told the 3D printer was unreliable and so we just decided to make the connector pieces out of wood instead, which meant a lot more time on Adobe Illustrator. Another problem regarding the connector pieces came when I decided to glue three different ¼ inch thick boards together to make a cool pattern on the wood that would also be the exact thickness I needed, however a missed calculation lead to the width of the boards being slightly too narrow for one of the connector pieces, so instead I was forced to use some scrap wood to make the connectors instead. It’s unfortunate, but I still think it will look cool. Overall it was a successful first week, and I’m excited to get more into the cutting side of things later on as this project progresses.             

Comments