Leather Pen Case

This week, or couple days due to inclement weather, I focused on my second project for two reasons: I needed to figure out what else I wanted to do and the material to finish my first project had not come in yet. I wanted to do a project that would be usable to me and I decided upon doing a pen case due to to fulfilling that factor, as well as being a leather-working project—something I have wanted to work with for some time.
Leather Pile

To begin, I had to get some leather. After obtaining my material, I set out towards designing my case in Illustrator as I wanted to use the laser cutter to cut out my design.
After cutting the leather with the laser cutter, I had to learn how to use the awls to create the stitching holes along the edges, as well as learn how to properly sew them together. Fortunately for me, Mr. Grisbee was willing and able to teach how to use the leather-working tools we have in La Tinkeria to do my project.
Designed Illustrator File

Sewing the leather together was much harder than I initially thought due to thread being thicker than the holes I created.
Sewing the Case

I look forward to finishing both of my projects next week and am excited to see the final outcomes of both.

Comments