J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design

Asa Forman
Mr. Grisbee
J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design
14 January 2018
The Name is Board, Backgammon Board.

I am going to be blunt, today was not as productive as I hoped, and outlined in my previous blog post, it would be. I got very little finished today, and that is a direct result of so many individuals, myself included, waiting until the last couple days of J-Term  to make cuts on Carvey, our CNC router. While I did complete the majority of the cuts that will allow the wood to fit into the 12” x 8” limits of the Carvey cutting base, I was unable to cut out any of the points, the wood that will surround the points, as well as the boards that will compose the sides of the board. Having two days subtracted from the total work time didn’t aid this process in any way either. Notwithstanding that I didn’t make any extremely difficult cuts today, I still encountered several problems.
The first problem I experienced was during the design process of both my points and the wood surrounding those points, namely being able to join the anchor points on Illustrator. This is when I, upon inquiring about my problem, found a tool that, not surprisingly, allows one to join two anchor points into one.  The second problem I confronted was, only after cutting too much off, realizing that I didn’t have enough material to perform the cuts I needed to complete the complete that particular part of the board. Upon further analysis, I realized that I could have made all of the appropriate cuts if I hadn’t cut 3, 7” x 5” x ⅛” pieces of wood from the original piece. Fortunately, there are several remedies to this problem. If I cannot complete every single cut on the router with the wood I have left, I will simply cut the remainder of the pieces on the laser cutter.
As I was unable to make any substantial progress, I, unfortunately, do not have any photographs. If you would like to see photographs of my first project, my scrabble board, please refer to my earlier blogs.



Comments