J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design

Asa Forman
Mr. Grisbee
J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design
14 January 2018
E1N1D2

“I accidentally ate a handful of Scrabble tiles, and I’m thinking that my next bowel movement may spell disaster.”

Subsequent to a long two day week, I finished my Scrabble game. The complete game is comprised of the board itself, one hundred and one tiles (due to my inability to recognize that I had added an extra k), four tile stands, and a leather bag to house the pieces and stands when not in use. Below, as promised in the blog post previous to this one, are several photos of the complete product followed by a breakdown of the work I did on Friday as well as a work plan for Monday and Tuesday.




The primary task on Friday was attaching the lazy Susan, which I had purchased the weekend before, to both the bottom of the board and to the wooden base as seen in the third photograph displayed above. The wooden base is a 6 ½” x 6 ½” x ¼” piece of wood (with rounded corners for aesthetic appeal) complete with a gray stain to keep the color scheme consistent. I centered the lazy Susan on the wooden base and drilled very carefully into each of the four marks I had made, in correlation to the holes for the screws on the lazy Susan, for each of the quarter inch screws. At this point you are probably wondering, “how did you not breach the other side of the quarter inch piece of wood serving as your base when your screw is a quarter of an inch long?” Well, the lazy Susan acted, and still acts, as a spacer, providing a marginal increase in space between the screw and the backside of the wooden base, just big enough to allow the screw to be tightened completely without breaching the backside of the base. Following the attachment of the lazy Susan to the base, I repeated the exact same process with the board itself. Following the completion of the board, I admired each component, took numerous pictures, and, eventually, moved on and began designing my backgammon board.

The backgammon board I plan on fabricating will be comprised of numerous different woods. These woods include ⅛ wenge and purpleheart for the points, ⅛ cherry for the spaces between the points, and ¼ plywood, stained gray or fastened with cherry veneers, I still have not decided yet, for both the base, and side walls of the board. Each individual piece will, ideally, be cut and ready to assemble by 5:00 PM on Monday, January 22nd. The assembling process will then take place on the subsequent Tuesday, January 23rd, and by the end of J-term I will, hopefully, have two finished projects.

Comments