J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design


Asa Forman
Mr. Grisbee
J-Term: Advanced 2D and 3D Design
14 January 2018
P3R1O1G2R1E1S1S1
I saw a guy spill his Scrabble set on the road. I asked him “what’s the word on the street?”

I would like to preface this blog post by saying that this J-Term will most likely go down in the history books of The Post Oak High School as one of, if not the, shortest J-Terms to ever transpire. Initially, after Hurricane Harvey and several months of deliberation, the high school faculty decided that it would be necessary to have an Odyssey trip. They decided that the trip would be most conveniently rescheduled to the last week of J-term for undisclosed reasons, and that J-Term would be cut short by three days to accommodate the Odyssey. This was fine by all J-Terms, however, and the adaption to less time went relatively smoothly ( I think this was due to students’ eagerness to spend three days on Galveston Island). The J-Term was then cut short another two days as Houston froze over, preventing Houston residents from travelling anywhere by road for two days. At this point you, the reader, are probably asking yourself how a student participating in the Advanced 2D and 3D Design J-Term could produce two projects in seven days. The answer, hard work and commitment. Speaking of project progress, let me update you on my Scrabble Board.
Today I worked on completing the stands on which each of the four players will place their seven tiles while playing the game. The stands are made out of ⅛” plywood complete with a gray stain (the same one I put on the actual board itself to keep the color scheme consistent). The stands are comprised of two pieces of this wood, one that is 7” x 1.5” x ⅛”, and the other 7” x 1” x ⅛”. Each has a small 3.5” x .1” x ⅛” slit in it to allow the to pieces to slide together and create a stand incredibly similar to that of what one might find in a store bought scrabble game. I also purchased a lazy Susan over the weekend and intend on attaching it, as outlined in my previous post, to the backside of the backgammon board to allow players to conveniently spin the board towards themselves on their turn.
I am elated to announce that my Scrabble board will be finished by tomorrow, January 19th, 2018, at noon if all goes accordingly, and tomorrow at 3:25 PM if I encounter every potential setback between when I commence work on my board and conclude work on my board. Unfortunately, I am unable to produce any pictures of the progress I made today on the board, but stay tuned for tomorrow’s post where there will be a number of photos of the final product.
           
P.S. I would like to extend a very big thank you to Mr. Grisbee for making an exceptionally good looking leather bag to house both the tiles and the tile stands when not in use.



Comments