Fun with Connor P.

In for my J-term I am designing and building a chess board with matching pieces. I love to play the chess and would like to have a nice chess board. The first step I needed to make was to come up with the dimensions of my chess board. I originally designed my chess board to 21.5’’ with each square being 2.5’’ and having a border that is .75’’ wide. I decided that I did not like that size. I wanted less wood to be used. I decided to make that squares have a diagonal of 2.5’’. The squares that I am planning on cutting out are now 1.8’’ long. I also shortened the with of the wooden border that will surround the chess board from .75’’ to .5’’. The wood I am using to make my chessboard and the peaces is Maple and Padauk. I am using 2 24’’ by 5’’ maple boards, one 48’’ by 5’’ padauk board and one 24’’ by 3’’ padauk board. All of the boards that I am using are .75 inches thick.
On the first day of J-term I used adobe illustrator to make the cut designs that I wanted to use on the boards. When I was about to cut Mr. Grisbee that it would probably not be a good idea to use that laser cutter for the job of cutting out my chess board. I will be using the table saw to cut out the pieces to the chess board. I still need to finish drawing out my cut plans before I can use the table saw. After I designed my cuts on adobe illustrator I started to make drawings of the chess pieces. I had not thought about how I would make the pieces. To design my chess pieces I first used a blank piece of paper to free hand draw what I wanted my chess peace to look like. Then after I have the design I like I will use the other side of the page to make a to scale model of my chess piece design. Then I measure the side lengths of the peace and the angels I would like ( I later learned that the angels did not matter in the designing of my chess pieces). All of my designs revolved around the fact that I am using the extra wood from my chess board. This means that I have wood that is .75’’ thick. To make any thing taller that that I would half to stack pieces of wood witch is what I did. I a list which stated that a pawn and rooks would have 2 pieces layers, knights and bishops would have 3 layers, and kings and queens would have 4 layers.
The next steps was to make my designs. I only finished the pawn. I made a prototype with the cnc out of some scrap wood. I decided to change my design to make it less pointy. I will remove the top and place a marble to give my pawn an iconic look. That is all I have done for now. Below I have my designs and a picture of the pointy pawn I made using the cnc machine.



Comments