Blog 2- 2D 3D Design

Francesco Argentina
Jeremy Grisbee
2D-3D Design
1/19/18
Blog 2

Today was the day I made a lot of progress on my clock. Essentially the plan is that I would cut out little ⅛ pieces of a circle, four of them from the cherry wood, and four of them from the maple, and then glue them to complete the circle in an alternating pattern. Using the CNC Router (Carvey) I was able to get two of them from the maple to examine the sizing an to see how difficult the gluing process would be. Unfortunately due to the availability of Carvey, I was only able to cut out these two pieces, however I quickly noticed one of the pieces was slightly bigger than the other for an unknown reason. For the majority of the class time I worked on filing and reshaping the bigger one so I could get the two to look as similar as possible. This was a very tedious process that didn't really work when I first started, so I had to get a much bigger file. Luckily the bigger file was much more successful and I got the job done in around half the time, however it made the wood very rough which means I will need to spend much more time sanding it down. The last thing I did today, was create an efficient way to glue the clock pieces together, as using standard clamps would be difficult. What I did was screw two thin boards into a piece of plywood at a 90 degree angle so then I could just slot the two ⅛ pieces in the space and clamp it down from the back. Even though I created this contraption I will not be using it to glue just yet as I still need to cut out the opposite color wood so the alternating pieces can be glued.     

Comments